University Animal Care

Compassion for Animals, Hope for People

Controlled Substances Information

Controlled substances are regulated by the 21 CFR Part 1300 through the US Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).  The University of Arizona’s Research Laboratory & Safety Services (RLSS) provides assistance and guidance to research laboratory controlled substance registrants. Researchers are expected to acquire their own DEA registrations, as these registrations are specific to research protocols and responsible individuals. Any use of a controlled substance must be under the oversight of an individual registered with the DEA; any person handling a registrant’s controlled substances must be listed as an “agent” under the registration.  

An individual in a laboratory must apply for a registration with the DEA using the DEA Form 224 or 225 before ordering, receiving or dispensing controlled substances. Contact the Research Laboratory & Safety Services (520-626-6850 / for application assistance and authorizing exemption from DEA registration fees.

The RLSS Program does not require, or advocate the use of one controlled substance provider over another. However, the following controlled substance providers have been commonly used by University researchers;

Henry Schein:


ZooPharm: This requires a veterinary prescription. Contact UAC Veterinary Services at to request a prescription.

File Upload