3-Part Cage Cards
1. Select a packet of cards and take the next card in the sequence.
2. On the main body of the card, record the following information:
Number of animals in pan – DO NOT LEAVE BLANK
Received date (date the card is put into use) and initials
Date of birth
Any other notes as necessary
3. The bottom portion of the card is called the activation strip.
On the activation strip, circle Split or Wean.
If a UAC employee is the one splitting or weaning the animals, he/she will circle UAC as well as Split or Wean. There is an additional cost when UAC employees split/wean animals for a PI. You can view the service fees here.
Record the date, your initials, and the number of animals in the pan.
4. Remove the activation strip from the card and place it in any black cage card box located near the facility exits.
5. Place the rest of the card on the pan.
6. When the pan is no longer in use, simply place the cage card in ant black cage card box located near the facility exits. You may remove the deactivation strip (top portion of the card) and place it in the black cage card box if you need to keep the body of the cage card.
View and download our 3 Part Card Instructional Diagram.
2-Part Cage Cards
1. All animals from vendors will be put away upon arrival with one cage card per pan. The bar code will already be active.
2. When the pan is no longer in use, simply place the cage card in ant black cage card box located near the facility exits. You may remove the deactivation strip (top portion of the card) and place it in the black cage card box if you need to keep the body of the cage card.
Splitting Animals with 2-Part Cage Cards
1. If you need to split animals in cages with 2-part cage cards into separate pans, please contact the appropriate unit for your facility.
Procurement Office, firstname.lastname@example.org
2. You will need to provide the following information:
Order # (starts with a V) or cage card #
Number of cards needed
Room # where animals are housed
When an activation strip is missing information, UAC will follow these guidelines:
1. Wean/Split is not circled – animals will be counted as a wean and will be counted against the protocol.
2. Number of animals is not indicated – if it is a split, the card will be counted as 1 animal. If it is a wean, the card will be counted as 4 animals.